Monday, April 11, 2016

Review: After the Boxes Are Unpacked

After the Boxes Are Unpacked After the Boxes Are Unpacked by Susan Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Miller's labour of love reveals that she is most passionate about ministering to women who have moved home. If Ravi Zacharias' heart beats for defending the gospel and Reinhard Bonnke's for crusades, Susan Miller's beats for women having through moving their families multiple times. The content provides for extremely light reading; a stressed out person would find the book a breeze to go through.

What this book lacks in theological and exegetical accuracy, it makes up for the abundance of case studies/real life accounts and practical advice! I'd imagine a Pentecostal woman would be thoroughly blessed and encouraged (a more reformed woman however may feel quite uncomfortable about the numerous bible verses quoted in isolation and bible characters cited as examples with no typological foreshadowing of Christ mentioned). But I guess Miller's target audience would probably not require deep theological expositions of the majesty of God and his infinite power etc. What they need would be practical steps to manage the stress and loss of having moved home!

After reading some books you'd probably wonder to yourself, "what did I just waste my time on?" I assure you, this is not one of them. I thoroughly enjoyed the content even though as a single unmarried male who has not moved even once in my 28 years of life! I highly recommend it, regardless of whether you are buying it for yourself or a person who is preparing to, in the process of, or had recently moved home! (The theology student in me still wishes that Miller would partner with a bible scholar to make the Scripture quotations more hermeneutically accurate - that's where I'd put in the last star!)

I received this book from the Tyndale House Publishers Blog Network Program in exchange for this review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment